Posting Date: Friday, November 20, 2020
Posting ID: 011
Atlohsa Family Healing Services is seeking a motivated and dynamic individual to fill the role of Housing Support Worker (1-year maternity leave contract). The primary role of the Housing Support Worker will be to provide support for community members who are experiencing homelessness as part of Atlohsa’s Supportive Housing program. The main priority of the Housing Support Worker is to help Indigenous community members integrate back into the community by living independently and by reconnecting to Indigenous Ways of Being and culture. The Housing Support Worker will work with participants and community members through an Indigenous cultural framework that will help community members achieve successful integration back into the community by implementing an Indigenized Housing First approach.
Role and Responsibility
Using a Wholistic Indigenous-led approach to principles of Harm Reduction and Housing First, the successful applicant will offer compassionate and assertive care and support to community members who may be experiencing homelessness, social stigma, problematic mental health, trauma and substance use. The Housing Support worker will be responsible for healing assessments and intakes of community members who are in need of housing, housing support and cultural empowerment. The Housing Support Worker will work with a warm, welcoming, and culturally safe approach while fostering a sense of family and community with participants and community members. The Housing Support Worker will use assessments to base goals on the strengths, abilities, needs and preferences of participants and community members. The Housing Support Worker will also employ motivational interviewing and coaching skills to community members in the learning and achievement of activities such as budgeting, personal hygiene, chores, socialization etc. This may also include providing lay counselling and proactively intervening when crisis or conflict arises; which may include aggressive or disruptive in the moment behavior due to substance use and or mental health issues. The Housing Support Worker will liaison with other social service agencies, record accurate and detailed shift notes and must be able to provide clear, concise objective communication regarding community members who are supported through Atlohsa’s Housing program. The Housing Support Worker will work to ensure that Atlohsa Family Healing Services is a safe space for all community members accessing services and programming by referring community members to more appropriate locations if the need shall arise.
• Demonstrated knowledge and understanding of the languages, traditional ways, history and cultures of the Indigenous population in the London region
• Current knowledge of Indigenous community services, resources
• Broad understanding of Indigenous homelessness
• Experience with working with marginalized individuals
• Demonstrated ability to receive training support, supervision and direction
• Demonstrated strengths in interpersonal relations, problem-solving, crisis intervention, group dynamics, community development and other innovative approaches
• Cultural sensitivity and an awareness of its impact on practice
• Skills in conflict resolution, mediation, and negotiation (to build trust and resolve disagreements)
• Excellent organizational and coordination skills and the ability to prioritize multiple competing workload demands in fast paced environment
• Effective communication (both written and verbal) and interpersonal skills with the ability to interact with others in a respectful manner as defined in the Atlohsa Code of Conduct
• Current Vulnerable Sector check required
• Current Driver’s license and clean driving abstract
Applicants of Indigenous Ancestry preferred.
Valid Ontario Driver’s License, First Aid and CPR certificate and Current Vulnerable Sector Check required.
EMPLOYMENT TERM: Full-time, one-year contract starting Jan. 4 2021
CLOSING DATE: Friday, December 4, 2020 @ 4:00 p.m.
REMUNERATION: Competitive compensation and benefits package based on qualifications
Please submit a cover letter and resume or referral to:
Atlohsa Family Healing Services Inc.
2212 Elm Ave
Southwold, ON N0L 2G0
Tel No. 519-438-0068 | Fax No.: 519-438-0070 | Email: