Posting Date: November 13, 2020
Posting ID: 010
Atlohsa Family Healing Services is seeking a motivated and dynamic individual to fill the role of Mental Wellness Worker. The primary role of the Mental Wellness Worker is to provide crisis intervention and support, assessments, referrals, and follow up services to women, men and children as well as family members affected by mental health, substance use issues, addictions, family violence and homelessness. The Mental Wellness Worker will provide prevention programs that are participant-led as well as strength-based healing and culturally relevant supports to Women, Men, Youth, Children, and caregivers who have experienced trauma.
Role and Responsibility
Using a Holistic Indigenous-led approach, the successful applicant will offer a range of personalized and outcome-focused supports to Women, Men, Youth, Children and Caregiver participants including access to meaningful activities or programs in one-on-one or group settings. Drawing from the First Nations Mental Wellness Continuum National framework, the Mental Wellness Worker will ensure Atlohsa community members, staff and leadership have access to cultural interventions and cultural program supports relevant to the customs and practices of the local Anishinaabe, Haudenosaunee and Lenape people. The Mental Wellness Worker will look to address trauma, incorporate traditional healing, offer ongoing mental wellness supports and provide education and health promotion. The Mental Wellness Worker must have excellent administrative skills, record accurate and detailed case notes and must be able to provide clear, concise objective communication regarding participants to other support staff and/or social service agencies. The Mental Wellness Worker will advocate for participants, liaison with other social service agencies and provide community outreach. The worker must have excellent communication skills and the ability to plan and facilitate groups and circles for participants to promote holistic healing values and principles. Participating in the agency wide programming and circle of care approaches, the successful applicant will work closely on case management with other staff to best support the families accessing Atlohsa Family Healing Services. The Mental Wellness Worker will be familiar with the services and resources other providers in the London community and First Nations communities offer and will build a network of community partners to collaborate and provide information and support.
• Demonstrated knowledge and understanding of the languages, traditional ways, history and cultures of the First Nations and Indigenous population in the London region
• Current knowledge of Indigenous community services and resources
• Minimum of 2 years work experience and training in addictions, counselling and mental health.
• College or university education in social services is an asset
• Experience working with women and children who have been exposed to violence/abuse and with individuals who are experiencing homelessness
• Demonstrated ability to receive training support, supervision and direction
• Demonstrated strengths in interpersonal relations, problem-solving, crisis intervention, group dynamics, community development and other innovative approaches
• Cultural competency and an awareness of its impact on practice
• Skills in conflict resolution, mediation, and negotiation (to build trust and resolve disagreements)
• Excellent organizational and coordination skills and the ability to prioritize multiple competing workload demands in fast paced environment
• Effective communication (both written and verbal) and interpersonal skills with the ability to interact with others in a respectful manner as defined in the Atlohsa Code of Conduct
• Valid Ontario Driver’s License, First Aid and CPR certificate and Current Vulnerable Sector Check
• Female applicants of Indigenous Ancestry preferred
EMPLOYMENT TERM: Permanent Full-Time
START DATE: December 7th, 2020
CLOSING DATE: November 27th, 2020 at 4:00 p.m.
REMUNERATION: $48,000 - $52,000 annually plus benefits
Please submit a cover letter and resume or referral to:
Atlohsa Family Healing Services Inc.
2212 Elm Ave, Southwold, ON N0L 2G0
Tel No. 519-438-0068 Fax No.: 519-438-0070
Full Job Description Available Upon Request. We thank all those who apply however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.