Mid-Term (3-6 months)
Deadline to Apply:
Monday, November 30, 2020
Add to Calendar
What is Canada Connects?
- One-on-one and family matching in an informal setting
- Needs-driven support for newcomers to help them understand the social, political, cultural, and economic context of their new community and become fully engaged in Canadian life
- Cross-cultural interaction and learning to provide essential guidance early in the settlement process and enable volunteers to learn about the newcomer experience
- Matching activities have been shown to support the two-way street of integration by fostering inter-cultural awareness and acceptance, and supporting volunteers to better understand the contributions of immigrants and the challenges they face in Canada (*Source IRCC).
- Examples of online match activities: practice conversational English, become a resources about life in Canada/London/the local community, build new connections and reduce isolation through frequent online interactions.
- The goal of Canada Connects matches is to create a sense of belonging among the newcomer population through community involvement in the settlement process.
complete volunteer training
Must have a completed Vulnerable Sector Check
Ability to work with a diverse population and various levels of English
Have strong writing, reading and spoken English language skills
Be a good listener, patient, supportive and empathetic to newcomers
Basic knowledge of SLNRC services and resources
Must maintain confidentiality
Familiar with life in London, ON (things to do, services offered, etc.)
Applicant should be Canadian Citizens or long-time community members in order to share personal experiences with the newcomer client.
Additional Opportunity Information:
* A special request was made by a client to be matched with a local artist with the goal of improving English related to art and to learn more about the London art scene. (Many other clients are waiting to be matched beside this specific request)