The landscape of risk for boards is evolving and oversight expectations are challenging even for those with much board experience. While financial risk often comes to mind first, the board is responsible for other types of risks as well.
This workshop will start with a presentation on the variable risks that will impact the relevancy and future viability of nonprofit organizations from primarily a strategic trends and influences perspective.
This workshop will include information and discussions on:
- Various types of risks involving governance, regulatory compliance, funder, reputational, relationships and fund development.
- How each of these risk areas is a growing concern to organizations
- And the impacts of these risks will vary based on size and the particular service sector that each organization is engaged in.
The significant increases in scrutiny, compliance, Canadian Revenue Agency, media transparency and other perspectives are important to understand for members of boards of directors and senior staff in mitigating risk, ensuring appropriate insurance coverage and being proactive in an organization’s planning, decision-making and ongoing evaluation related to risk analysis and tolerance.
Following the presentation, a panel of experts will be available to provide their specific insights based on their backgrounds and experiences, as well as to answer questions and facilitate dialogue amongst the workshop participants. On the panel, our very own, Michelle Baldwin, Executive Director of Pillar Nonprofit Network; Jason Kerr, Consultant - Organizational Development and Learning at Fanshawe College and Board Chair for Pillar Nonprofit Network; and Nawaz Tahir, Partner at Miller Thomson, LLP.
Additional Investment Information - Special Member Rate Details
- Only applicable to Pillar member ORGANIZATIONS (staff and/or volunteers) that pay a $70.00 membership fee indicating that their operating budget is less than $100,000
- 5 of these spots available per workshop and they are first come first serve.
- Additional spots may be added at a later date. If you have already registered you cannot apply the discount.
- The special rates are NOT applicable to individual members
- To take advantage of the Special Member Rate please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 519-433-7876 x 215 to receive the discount code.
About the presenter:
Fred Galloway is President of F. J. Galloway Associates Inc., of London, Ontario, a firm he founded in January 1989. The firm specializes in a wide range of assignments with not-for-profit and municipal organizations involving feasibility and business plans, strategic planning, organizational development reviews, governance, amalgamations/integrations, executive search and a host of other services.
He has also been extensively involved in community volunteer work. Fred was a Governor and Chair of the Board of Fanshawe College, Vice President of Sport Services for the 2001 Canada Summer Games hosted in London and Vice Chair of Finance for the 2005 Memorial Cup and multiple Ontario Games. He is currently a member of the Boards of the London Community Foundation, the King’s College Foundation and King's University College Board.
Fred holds an Honours Bachelor of Arts Degree in Recreation from the University of Waterloo, Masters of Science Degree in Planning from Michigan State University and a Masters of Business Administration Degree from the University of Western Ontario’s Ivey School of Business. In 2002, he was awarded an Honorary Diploma from Fanshawe College for Community Service. In 2016, he received the Governor General's Sovereigns Award for Volunteers.
Thank You to our 2018 Professional Development Sponsors: