*This event is SOLD OUT! If you would like to be added to the waitlist, please email email@example.com*
In the current employment landscape, it’s hard to keep track of all the legal developments to keep your organization on the right side. With the significant changes in the workplace brought by Bill 148 and the increasing presence of marijuana, broadening human rights concerns, and all the usual challenges that come with hiring and firing, trying to keep your organization’s liability risk under check is a challenge. It's important to feel confident that you understand the changes and to ensure you have a thorough awareness of what to do and not to do.
As management side employment and labour lawyers in our community, we are attuned to the needs of nonprofit organizations to reach fair goals, while minimizing costs.
In this workshop, we will share some practical tools for application, including how to navigate dealing with marijuana in the workplace, how to minimize risk in the hiring process and appropriately deal with a termination of employment. We will also unpack some provisions of Bill 148 that we are being asked most about by our clients including scheduling, on-call and equal pay for equal work. We will also include a Q&A portion to help deepen the learning.
In this workshop you will learn:
- How to deal effectively with human rights in the workplace
- The basics of hiring and firing and tools to limit your company’s liability exposure
- How to handle marijuana in the workplace
- A deeper dive into some of the more confusing provisions of Bill 148 including:
- On Call
- Equal Pay for Equal Work
Target Audience: Executive Directors, Board members, HR Professionals, managers and anyone in a supervisory role
Level: All Levels
Additional Investment Information:
*When you register you may notice a Special Rate. What does that mean and who can take advantage of this rate?
- Only applicable to Pillar member ORGANIZATIONS (staff and/or volunteers) that pay a $70.00 membership fee indicating that their operating budget is less than $100,000
- 5 of these spots available per workshop and they are first come first serve.
- Additional spots may be added at a later date. If you have already registered you cannot apply the discount.
- The special rate is not applicable to individual members
- To take advantage of the Special Member Rate please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 519-433-7876 x 215 to receive the discount code.
About the Presenters:
Both Jennifer Costin and Mary Lou Brady practice in management-side employment law at Siskinds’ London office.
Jennifer Costin practices exclusively in the area of management-side labour and employment law. In this role, Jennifer advises organizations on matters related to hiring, discipline, human rights issues and particularly accommodation, policies, procedures, terminations, wrongful dismissal lawsuits, and workplace investigations. Jennifer is attuned to clients’ needs and goals and works with employers to craft the best approach to workplace issues.
Mary Lou Brady has been practicing exclusively in the area of management-side employment law for almost 20 years.She recognizes that people are the most valuable resource in any organization. She works cooperatively with employers and human resource professionals to manage this critical resource through practical advice and real-world solutions. Mary Lou represents employers in the full spectrum of the employment relationship, with particular emphasis on hiring and retention of employees, employment agreements, employee discipline, employee terminations and wrongful dismissal actions, human rights, employment standards, policy development and day-to-day legal compliance.
Thank You to our 2018 Professional Development Sponsors: