Risk management is a critical function of nonprofit organizations. However, many risk management practices and concepts applied in the sector are not only out-dated, but also inefficient and even worse, ineffective. Many risk management concepts have been borrowed from the for-profit sector with little to no consideration for the special characteristics and needs of nonprofit organizations.
In this fast-paced webinar, Omer Livvarcin and Rick Nason, co-authors of the book “Risk Management for Non-Profit Organizations” (published by Business Expert Press) will discuss the key principles of effective risk management that are specific to the nonprofit organizations. In particular they will introduce several new paradigms and frameworks for assessing risk and implementing risk management practices.
Topics covered include:
- Rethinking the definition of risk management (and why it matters)
- The ten most common (and detrimental) risk management myths
- Introduction of the ViStA risk management framework for nonprofits
- Assessing and prioritizing risks
- Managing risk beyond insurance and checklists
- Capturing the positive elements of risk
- What the science of adaptive complexity teaches us about risk management
- The ACTIVE risk treatment model for implementing risk management from the Boardroom to the frontline
- Creating a great risk culture (understanding and embracing risk management as a powerful strategic tool for the success and sustainability of your organization)
- A peek at the future of risk management
Topics covered will be of interest to all levels of decision makers from board members to volunteer managers who need to implement risk management practices.
Are you a nonprofit member organization with an operating budget of under $100,000? You may be able to save an additional 50% off the registration fee.
Learn if you are eligible for the NONPROFIT MEMBER DISCOUNT RATE.
ABOUT THE PRESENTERS:
Rick Nason, PhD, CFA, is a risk consultant and an Associate Professor of Finance at Dalhousie University. Dr. Nason has advised and developed risk programs on risk management, measurement, and strategy for both large and small corporations, international financial institutions, and government agencies. In addition to co-authoring Risk Management for Non-Profit Organizations with Dr. Livvarcin, Rick is the author or co-author of 7 books on finance, risk and complexity, including Rethinking Risk Management (published by Business Expert Press) and It’s Not Complicated: The Art and Science of Complexity for Business (published by University of Toronto Press). He is also an active member on several nonprofit boards.
Omer Livvarcin, PhD, Dr. is a passionate academic researcher and nonprofit management consultant who brings demonstrated success in strategic management, operational performance, and leadership, highlighted through 25 years of experience in the academic, government, and nonprofit spheres. Omer is the Founder and the Lead Consultant of Vectors Group, a management consulting company specializing in serving the nonprofit sector. In 2018 Omer founded the Nonprofit Management Laboratory (NML) at the University of Ottawa. Through his research with the members of the NML, he developed a three-dimensional metric to measure the individual, target-group and community-level impact of philanthropic community services.
Thank You To Our 2021 Learning & Development Sponsor: