Position: Addiction Transitional Case Manager
Reports to: Coordinator
This position will provide a rapid response to individuals seen in hospital who can be appropriately redirected for addiction and mental health related concerns.
This is front-line, clinical position providing crisis intervention, brief transitional case management, and system navigation in London and surrounding counties. This position provides support to community-based addiction and mental health services in a collaborative manner in order to reduce avoidable, unnecessary and repeat emergency department visits.
Clients are members of the community and may be from diverse populations such as individuals who are homeless, in crisis, living with violence/or involved in the correctional and/or child welfare systems.
Addiction Transitional Case Managers (ATCM) support dignity and hope for change for the client population they serve.
Details of Position & Hours of Work
• Immediate start
• 35 hours/week
• Contract position: End date March 31, 2021
• Schedule may vary according to client and program needs
• 4% in lieu of paid vacation
Duties & Responsibilities
• Share in the provision of face to face Entry / First Contact / Intake Services as well as using virtual technology and clinical conferencing
• Provide a quick response to urgent situations as they arise
• Provide intervention and short term support to individuals experiencing an addiction or mental health crisis
• Facilitate early linkage with internal programs and/or other agencies and/or supports i.e. family, neighbours etc. by communicating and coordinating relevant information and providing case management services until linkages are created
• Provide screening for mental health and addiction issues and assessment of appropriateness of service
• Provide addiction and mental health screening, referrals for psychiatric consultation, mental health supports and referrals to community resources
• Provide and facilitate referrals to addiction resources as appropriate
• Provide referrals to all appropriate social and health related services based on participant wishes
• Offer harm reduction strategies as well as abstinence strategies based on participants intentions and stated needs
• Provide discharge planning and support
• Deliver appropriate level of navigational support based on client capacity
• Share information about health and community/social services and link participants to same
• Provide assessment, treatment planning, referral, advocacy, preliminary case management, community treatment and education as appropriate to persons who have concerns about their own substance use or someone else’s. Counselling may be on an individual or group basis
• Facilitate community treatment groups as needed and appropriate
• Engage in advocacy and system transformation as appropriate
• Provide the above mentioned clinical services at various points of access and other locations as designated and needed
• Manage and meet targets for a clinical caseload and maintain direct service requirements
• Manage indirect services and administrative duties
• Engage in community development, community awareness, education and outreach as designated and appropriate
• Attend and actively participate in team meetings and case conferencing
• Attend other ADSTV site meetings; Annual General Meeting and periodically scheduled strategic planning and team building events
• Maintain awareness of and adherence to agency policies and protocols
• Support and participate in the quality enhancement activities of the agency
• Actively participate in the supervisory process with immediate supervisor and site supervisor
• Provide coverage for other team members as volunteered/directed
• Engage in and complete special projects as assigned by the supervisor
• Be supportive of and an active participant in the constant evolution and growth of the agency and service collaborations with partner agencies
• Provide peer support
• Other duties as directed by supervisor
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Other Requirements
• Post-secondary education in a related field, e.g. BSW, post-graduate diploma in addictions or equivalent required
• Registration with an appropriate professional college i.e. Ontario College of Social Workers and Social Service Workers preferred
• Valid “G” driver’s license and proof of current automobile insurance required
• Access to a reliable vehicle required
• Satisfactory Police Vulnerable Sector Check required
• CPR/First Aid Certification preferred
• Clinical work experience ideally in substance use assessment and treatment including intake services, referral and treatment planning
• Knowledge of mental health and other social services to address the comprehensive needs of the client
• Knowledge of the bio-psychosocial approach to understanding addictions and mental illness and co-occurring issues
• Knowledge of relevant legislation specific to addiction and mental health
• Planning and organization skills to facilitate advocacy and support coordination/service access
• Extensive knowledge of the support/treatment services network throughout Thames Valley, specifically Elgin County
• Familiarity with a Harm Reduction approach to client engagement and treatment
• Demonstrated ability and interest to work across the life span
• Capacity to work in a collaborative manner with multiple disciplines and organizations
• Computer proficiency with a proven ability to use relevant technology i.e. computer based data collection and presentation equipment
• Comfort and skill with public speaking
• Crisis or suicide intervention training
• CPI Certification preferred
• Proficiency in French – verbal and written – preferred
• Potential for working alone
• May be exposed to infectious and communicable diseases; working with individuals who have a history of trauma and being aggressive
• Manual dexterity required to use desktop computer and peripherals.
• Moderate physical activity including walking, standing, sitting, lifting
• Assisting other staff in their roles as required
PLEASE SUBMIT RESUME AND COVER LETTER IN CONFIDENCE BY:
November 21, 2019 to:
Attn: HR – ATCM
260-200 Queens Ave., London, ON N6A 1J3
Please indicate the position you are applying to in the subject line if submitting via email.
ADSTV is an inclusive employer and encourages applications from Indigenous people, women, persons with disabilities and members of visible minorities
If you require a disability-related accommodation during this process, please inform us of any required accommodations needed.
Preference will be given to candidates who are proficient in both official languages of Canada and who meet all job requirements.
Préférence sera accordée aux candidats qui sont compétents dans les deux langues officielles du Canada et qui satisfont à toutes les exigences de l'emploi.
We thank all applicants for their interest but regret only those selected for an interview will be acknowledged.
No phone calls please.