Administrative Assistant (1 FTE)
St. Joseph’s Hospice is a charitable organization providing compassionate care and companionship to palliative clients, their caregivers, and the bereaved while recognizing their unique needs.
St. Joseph’s Hospice is currently seeking a full-time Administrative Assistant (37.5 hours per week). Reporting to the Director of Resident Care and the Coordinator of Volunteer Services, the Administrative Assistant supports the seamless delivery of care within Hospice by performing administrative duties to support the operations of the Resident Care and Volunteer Services departments.
Key accountabilities of this position include:
(1) Administrative Support:
• Communicating regarding Residence admissions and deaths and/or discharges as required
For our Resident Care Employees (RNs, RPNs, PSWs):
• Updating and inputting employee schedules into the required system, as required
• Filling shifts as a result of absenteeism, as required
(3) Health Records Management:
• Maintaining resident charts:
o Storage of discharged resident charts, as directed and according to privacy guidelines.
• Retrieval of health records as required, and directed and according to privacy guidelines
• Maintaining statistical records in Hospice databases for the Residence Program for operational, quality and funding purposes [Key Performance Indicators (KPIs)], and providing reports as required, in the following areas:
o Resident, Substitute Decision Maker (SDM) and family information (Care and Information Management)
• Supporting Hospice Departments with data population, inputting, analysis and reporting of statistical information for quality, planning and funding requirements
(1) Screening and Administrative Functions:
Performing various administrative duties associated with the recruitment and screening of potential volunteers:
o Facilitating the application process for new volunteers:
- Responding to initial inquiries from the general public with respect to volunteer opportunities
- Facilitating the application process by ensuring all required information is provided and completed for volunteer applicants, according to Hospice requirements
o Scheduling interviews with the Coordinator of Volunteer Services for volunteer applications
o Inputting of volunteer information into appropriate Hospice databases
o Performing reference checks for all potential volunteers
(2) Records Management and Quality Functions
• Regularly updating volunteer records to ensure current
• Performing yearly audit of volunteer records to ensure compliance with Hospice Standards
• Data entry for tracking volunteer service delivery and various statistical purposes in Hospice databases
(3) Orientation and Training
• Assisting with the preparation and coordination of volunteer orientation and training sessions
• Facilitating and supporting the development and maintenance of role-specific Hospice orientation manuals; and in collaboration with Hospice staff members, provide introductory orientation for new and returning volunteer volunteers in various Hospice roles
(4) Recognition and Appreciation
• Assisting with formal and informal activities supporting the appreciation and recognition of Hospice volunteers
• Creating, maintaining/updating, and communicating volunteer schedules and fill shifts as a result of absenteeism, as required.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform essential duties satisfactorily. The Requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and /or ability required.
• Post-secondary education degree or diploma
• Experience in scheduling preferred
• Previous experience working with/coaching volunteers preferred
• An understanding of volunteer recruitment, training, orientation, and appreciation
• Demonstrated time management skills, and ability to work in a busy environment with multiple priorities; capacity to prioritize, think critically with the ability to exercise judgment and work with minimal supervision
• Demonstrated computer expertise working with Microsoft applications including Outlook, Word, and Excel
• Demonstrated experience with database management, experience in data entry, creating reports, monitoring and documenting trends; attention to detail and accuracy is essential
• Fundamentals of Hospice Palliative Care Certificate or commitment to obtain
• Demonstrated relationship management skills consistent with the mission, vision and values of St. Joseph’s Hospice
How to Apply:
If you are interested in this critical role, and have the qualifications identified, please submit your cover letter and resume attention to Fran Doig, Human Resources Coordinator via the link provided below by Friday, December 10, 2021:
St. Joseph’s Hospice is an equal opportunity employer and we will accommodate your needs under the Ontario Human Rights Code. Upon individual request, hiring processes will be modified to remove barriers to accommodate those with disabilities. If you require any accommodations to fully and fairly participate in the application, interview or selection process, please contact Human Resources at (519) 438-2102 ext. 257 or email@example.com and we will endeavour to provide a suitable accommodation in a manner that takes into account your accessibility needs.
Administrative Assistant (1 FTE)