In the absence of the Shopkeeper, the Assistant Shopkeeper oversees the daily operation of the Denfield General Store.
Term: Casual Seasonal
May through October
Hours/Days of Work: Minimum 10 hours per week (As scheduled, variable days)
Weekend work and occasional evening work required
This position will require working public holidays
Salary:Grade 2 ($14.00)
Reporting to: Manager of Visitor Services
Duties and Responsibilities:
Under the general management of the Manager of Visitor Services, assist with or oversee General Store functions including:
- Daily opening, closing and operation of the General Store;
- Pricing stock before display;
- Stock maintenance and inventory control;
- Maintain accurate cash accounting to balance using POS system;
- Document daily sales and taxes for Denfield Store;
- Maintain Denfield General Store in a clean and organized manner at all times, including displays of stock, storage areas and work areas;
- Ensure the safety of visitors and staff and protect the site's resources;
- Maintain excellence in customer service;
- Other duties as assigned.
- Excellent customer service and problem solving skills;
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills;
- Ability to work in a team environment;
- Strong organizational abilities;
- Ability to operate with a minimum of direct supervision;
- Good working knowledge of accounting, purchasing and inventory control procedures;
- Ability to operate an electronic cash register and point of sale system;
- Good working knowledge of/capability to perform data entry functions;
- One or more years of retail and merchandising experience;
- Retail business management experience an asset;
- Experience in the museum sector an asset;
- Ability to provide a current Police Records Check;
- This position requires that a costume (provided) be worn during the operating hours during the public programming season. Adherence to standards regarding jewellery, make-up and other forms of personal adornment is also required as part of FPV’s costuming policy.
- Public transportation to the site is unavailable. Staff must have own transportation.
- Accommodation will be provided in all parts of the hiring process as required under the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA), Integrated Accessibility Standards. Applicants need to make their needs known in advance. The London & Middlesex Heritage Museum is an equal opportunity employer.
- Fanshawe Pioneer Village thanks all those who apply, but only those applicants selected for interview will be contacted.
Standard Code of Conduct
- Positive communication. If there are issues within your program area, it is expected that you will prepare a range of possible solutions for discussion with your immediate supervisor and be prepared to implement the agreed solution.
- Model Behaviour. Refrain from negative comments about the organization, staff or volunteers who work here.
- Demonstrated Commitmentto the strategic direction of this organization.
- Cooperation. With colleagues in own department, with staff of other departments and with partner organizations.
- Contributes to a positive team environmentwithin own department and organization as a whole.
- Health and Safety: All staff will work in a safe manner in accordance with Ontario Workplace Health and Safety regulations.
Interested candidates may submit a cover letter and resume by mail or e-mail to the address below by Wednesday, April 15, 2020 at 5:00 p.m.:
Manager of Visitor Services
Fanshawe Pioneer Village
2609 Fanshawe Park Road East
Fanshawe Pioneer Village thanks all those who apply, but only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.