Under the general supervision of, and reporting to, the Manager of Visitor Services or the Interpretation Coordinator, the Event Assistant provides support to all operations in the Visitor Services Department (including the Ransom Puzzle Room) as well as assistance to the Public Programming Department.
Term: Part-time Seasonal
From May to October (calendar dates to be determined annually)
Hours/Days of Work:
As scheduled - typically between the hours of 5pm to 1am though there will be day and evening shifts regularly
Working weekends is required
Minimum 12 hours per week; 2-5 days per week fluctuating through season
This position will require working on Public Holidays
Salary:Grade 3 $14.65- $16.00
Reporting to:Manager of Visitor Services
Duties and Areas of Responsibilities:
- Visitor Services Department Responsibilities- Rentals, Village Café and Denfield General Store
- Work alongside Manager of Visitor Services to ensure security and smooth operations of the Pioneer Village rental venues throughout rental and event days.
- Provide site orientation and support to rental guests as needed.
- Provide accessibility assistance to visitors as needed.
- Monitor visitor parking area.
- Supervision of evening rental events, including event clean-up and site shutdown.
- Provide support to the Pioneer Café as needed during peak periods. Duties may include handling cash, customer service and porter duties.
- Provide occasional support to the Denfield General Store. Duties may include covering or supporting sales at peak times or to relieve store staff for breaks.
- Maintain accurate cash accounting through the electronic sales equipment for the Café as required.
- General Responsibilities
- Maintain excellence in customer service.
- Ensure the safety of visitors and staff and protect the site's resources.
- Building cleaning and maintenance.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Excellent customer service and problem solving skills.
- Ability to work in a team environment as well as on their own.
- Strong organizational abilities.
- Ability to operate with a minimum or no direct supervision.
- One or more years of retail and marketing experience an asset.
- Experience with Microsoft Office.
- Ability to wear historical costumes or corporate wear (provided) and adhere to guidelines with respect to jewellery, make-up and other forms of personal adornment.
- Experience in the museum sector an asset.
- Fluency in French an asset.
- Valid first aid and CPR certificates an asset.
- Must be able to provide a Police Information Check and Vulnerable Persons Screening.
Employees will observe and comply with the following Code of Conduct:
- Positive communication: If there are issues within your program area, it is expected that employees will prepare a range of possible solutions for discussion with immediate supervisor and be prepared to implement the agreed solution.
- Model Behaviour: Employees will not engage in negative behaviour, defined as office politics, malicious gossip, blaming, name calling or complaining and will refrain from negative comments about the organization, staff or volunteers who work at the Village.
- Demonstrated Commitmentto the strategic direction of this organization.
- Cooperationwith colleagues in own department, with staff of other departments and with partner organizations.
- Contributes to a positive team environmentwithin own department and organization as a whole.
- Health and Safety: All staff will work in a safe manner in accordance with Ontario Workplace Health and Safety regulations.
- Public transportation to the site is unavailable. Staff must have own transportation.
- Accommodation will be provided in all parts of the hiring process as required under the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act (AODA), Integrated Accessibility Standards. Applicants need to make their needs known in advance. The London & Middlesex Heritage Museum is an equal opportunity employer.
- Fanshawe Pioneer Village thanks all those who apply, but only those applicants selected for interview will be contacted.
Interested candidates may submit a cover letter and resume by mail or e-mail to the address below by Wednesday, April 15, 2020 at 5:00 p.m.:
Manager of Visitor Services
Fanshawe Pioneer Village
2609 Fanshawe Park Road East
Fanshawe Pioneer Village thanks all those who apply, but only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.