Childcan is a registered charity that provides responsive and compassionate support services for families facing the challenging journey through childhood cancer - from diagnosis, through treatment, post-treatment care, or bereavement.
We are currently looking to fill two (2), part-time Family Support Lead positions.
The Family Support Lead provides support to families and their children who have been diagnosed with childhood cancer and/or are receiving paediatric oncology care at Children’s Hospital, London Health Sciences Centre or affiliated hospitals. The role requires compassion, empathy, active listening skills, patience, and the ability to work well with different types of individuals with diverse needs. Superior organizational and interpersonal skills with a commitment to Childcan’s mission and strategic plan is vital. Reporting to the Executive Director, the Family Support Lead will work collaboratively with the Windsor Family Support and Community Engagement Liaison and the entire Childcan Team.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Collaborate with the Executive Director and organizational team on the creation of the annual Support Program workplan which achieves the strategic directions of the organization
- Liaise with appropriate caregiving staff at Children’s Hospital to deliver the full range of support programs and services Childcan offers
- Refer Windsor-Essex area families to the Windsor Family Support Liaison
- Meet with families and children who have been diagnosed with childhood cancer. The diagnosis will have been made/confirmed at Children’s Hospital, London Health Sciences Centre and the child and family registered with Childcan
- Provide information and access to all Childcan programs and supports exemplifying the core values of Childcan
- Provide emotional support to families and their children within professional boundaries through in-person hospital or off-site visits
- Arrange and implement all family support programs
- Administer and track referrals, care packages, parking passes, meal vouchers, gift card distribution, and financial aid
- Co-ordinate in-hospital meals, Childcan holiday party(s), and annual family day event(s)
- Attend and assist at Childcan signature fundraising events
- Support and enhance Childhood Cancer Awareness initiatives and participation across the region
- Related social service diploma or equivalent with field experience preferred
- Knowledge of, and a sensitivity to, the common challenges faced by a family navigating through a childhood cancer diagnosis
- Demonstrated commitment to providing caring and compassionate client service
- Emotionally intelligent with excellent communication skills
- Ability to manage a flexible workday, willing and able to adjust to provide personalized family support when and where needed (client home, community setting, workplace offices)
- Excellent organizational and administrative skills
- Must have a valid drivers license and access to a reliable and insured vehicle
- Risk management screening with London Health Sciences Centre (LHSC) is required
- Vulnerable screening check is required.
If interested, please forward your cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org ; please note Family Support Lead London in the subject line of your email.
Thank you for your interest. Applications will be reviewed as they are received until October 3, 2023. Only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
Childcan is an equal opportunity employer.