Financial Controller, London Clay Art Centre
Part-time, 20-25 hours per week
The London Potters Guild (LPG) is an incorporated not-for-profit charity that owns and operates London Clay Art Centre (LCAC). The LPG’s mission is:
To be the leader in the education and promotion of the clay arts in Southwestern Ontario. We provide high-quality programming, nurture the development of professional clay artists, collaborate with other community organizations and encourage fellowship in an inclusive and accessible facility.
LCAC is a 7,000 square foot, state-of-the-art facility in the heart of London’s Old East Village. It provides studio space for approximately 180 members and offers a wide range of programming for all skill levels from beginners to professional clay artists in London and surrounding area.
Our vision is to be recognized by the local and international communities as a world-class clay art and educational centre.
LCAC FINANCIAL CONTROLLER
The LPG at LCAC is looking for a Financial Controller to help develop, analyze, and oversee its multi-faceted budget.
Since opening in 2009, London Clay Art Centre’s operations and programming have grown rapidly. Traditionally, the Treasurer of the LPG Board of Directors has taken on the myriad responsibilities of managing the finances related to its facility and extensive programming. The new Financial Controller will be responsible for the majority of the weekly responsibilities formerly completed by the Treasurer.
LCAC’s Financial Controller will report to the Executive Director and work closely with a dedicated team of skilled staff, members, and volunteers, including the board, to achieve the LPG’s mission. LCAC’s Financial Controller will play an integral role in maintaining and continuously improving programs and services for members and community participants.
Our ideal candidate will have professional accounting accreditation and will have experience with cash flow budgeting, accounting, and management financial reporting. This person will have a combination of good mathematical skills, strong abilities with Excel and accounting software and the ability to produce meaningful reports. Experience in financial reporting for a registered charity is essential.
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Perform payroll function - biweekly pays, monthly source deductions, quarterly WSIB premiums, yearly T4 and T4As
- Prepare quarterly HST returns
- Reconcile bank statements
- Prepare financial reports for board meetings and various annual and periodic grant applications as required
- Assist in the preparation and maintenance of annual budgets
- Work with auditors at year-end
- Analyze trends and provide recommendations for increased revenue generation
- Other duties as required
- Work remotely using own computer
- Liaise in person or via phone with LCAC’s Executive Director and Administrator at least once per week
- Adhere to the LPG/LCAC Code of Conduct
- Use initiative to identify areas of improvement for the good of LCAC
- Operate in good faith and work as part of a team to achieve organizational goals while attaining a high standard of accomplishment in the specific area of job expertise
- Continuously act as a brand ambassador for London Clay Art Centre
- Respectfully communicate at all times with staff, members, community partners and other stakeholders
Required Qualifications and Skills
- Professional accounting accreditation (CPA)
- 5+ years experience in a similar role in the charitable, not-for-profit sector
- Strong interpersonal communication skills
- Ability to efficiently and effectively use accounting software (computer and cloud-based) such as QuickBooks and/or Simply Accounting
- Ability to analyze, process and present financial data in understandable and useful ways to various stakeholders
- Experience working with auditors to prepare annual financial report
- Ability to multitask and meet ongoing deadlines
The successful candidate must have a passion for a fast-paced, dynamic, and diverse arts environment and have a high level of computer proficiency. Pay will be commensurate with experience. Please submit one PDF document comprising a cover letter that states your salary expectation based on 20 hours per week, a résumé, and three (3) business references with the subject line “Financial Controller” to firstname.lastname@example.org by 5 p.m., Monday, November 19, 2018.
No telephone or e-mail inquiries, please. Only qualified candidates will be contacted for an interview.