The Manger will be an employee of the South London Neighbourhood Resource Centre (SLNRC). Day-to-day supervision/consultation will be provided by the Manager of Neighbourhood Community Development-Westminster in the form of formal supervision meetings as well as informal support as requested.
SLNRC is a Neighbourhood Resource Centre with a:
Mission to: Empower and enrich the neighbourhood in an inclusive environment
Vision to: Provide opportunities that engage and empower residents to achieve their personal potential and healthy quality of life.
A collaboration has been established between London Community Foundation; the South London Neighbourhood Resource Centre (SLNRC); London & Middlesex Community Housing (LMCH); and Western’s Faculty of Education, to improve the educational opportunities of vulnerable children and youth living in housing.
Social Service Worker Diploma, Child and Youth Worker Diploma, Social Work Degree, Masters in Education, or Sociology Degree. Or equivalent social services education or field experience in relation to the job posting.
This is a full-time position for (37.5 hrs/week) that includes working into early evening & Saturdays, beginning October 26th, 2020. Position confirmed to June 30th with extension based on project success.
Must be available for Timing with participant’s other hours are flexible:
- evenings Wednesdays and Thursday and full days Saturdays (some flexibility)
- Additional hours with participants will be developed as needed.
1. Children and Youth receive the supports to improve their academic achievements
2. Families are empowered to respond positively to support their children and youth with their academics.
From October until June, children and youth will be provided the opportunities to:
- Receive weekly educational enhanced instruction supported by Teacher Candidates from Western Faculty of Education in an Alternative Field Experience (AFE) –Supervised by the Manager
- Expand learning experiences, with programs from other educational partners, that include learning teams from Western, Fanshawe College, and other exploratory partnerships that will provide unique experiences and individualized take home learning tools. These learning workshops will occur afterschool when the AFE program is not running.
- Provide individualized tutoring as appropriate with support of Volunteer Tutors. Tutoring referrals will be available for students based on need.
- Lead Monthly Family Math/Literacy nights that will establish an ongoing role for parents in the education of their children/youth. This aligns to the strength of learning through a Home, School and Community approach. The family nights will be developed drawing on best practices from Family Esso Math and Family Literacy nights that have previously existed in London.
- Establish a Community Learning Hub for grade 7-12 at 650 Osgoode Drive (Westminster Optimist Centre)
- Establish a Community Learning Hub for grade 1-6 at 977 Southdale Road East
- Lead all sections of the Educational Enhancement Objectives
- Lead quarterly meetings with all key stakeholders
- Supervise assistant for the project and manage two sites
- Supervise 15 Teacher Candidates
- Ensure all COVID safe protocols are in accordance with SLNRC & MLHU expectations
- Obtain and share relevant resources with families
- Maintain accurate data collection and meet all reporting deadlines in relation to funders
- Maintain clean and safe program space and equipment.
- Follow all policies and procedures of SLNRC.
- good organizational, and time management skills
- good interpersonal skills
- Capacity to build relationships with, community members, and professionals
- Proven ability to work with diverse and ethnic/cultural backgrounds
- Motivated, self-starter and able to work in a fast-paced environment
- Capacity to work independently as well as within a multidisciplinary team
- Valid G driver’s license and access to a reliable vehicle is required
- Clearance through a Vulnerable populations police screening process (at own cost)
- Current CPR and First Aid certification (or willingness to obtain at own cost)
- Responsible, trustworthy, approachable and friendly
- Ability to work with a diverse population
To apply for the position please send resume and cover letter as one Word Document or PDF File via email (with subject line: Manager Educational Enhancement Project) before noon on October 26th , 2020 to:
Thank you for your interest in this position but only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. Please do not call.
“We work together to “empower and enrich the neighbourhood in an inclusive environment.”
Contract length: 8 months
Application deadline: 2020-10-26
Expected start date: 2020-10-26
Job Types: Full-time, Contract
Salary: $22.50 per hour