Job Description – Marketing Coordinator
Program: Aeolian Hall Musical Arts Association
Campus: Aeolian Hall
Spreading Music. Changing Lives.
Aeolian Hall believes that the arts can enlighten, inspire and transform. We believe in universal access to music, art, culture, education and community. We believe that volunteerism is the highest form of giving back to community.
We present excellence in performance and create revolutionary arts programs to build better communities. To do this, we are brave, rebellious, justice seeking and innovative.
Music everywhere, everyone.
In our future world everyone has the highest value for music, art, culture, education and community. The Aeolian becomes a leader inspiring people to connect to their creative abilities.
This role is a full-time, one-year internship. The Aeolian prides itself in being an organization with opportunities to learn and teach. Although we want to give as many candidates as possible the opportunity to experience this position, there may be an opportunity to extend this contract dependent on budgetary discretion, competition for the role and the candidate’s performance. Candidates eligible for the Canada Student Summer Jobs Program will be considered. Job sharing will be considered. Like any role in music production, this position may require long periods where regular overtime is required.
As with all management level roles, overtime will not be paid, nor may it be banked or used for vacation days. Every effort will be made to accommodate time-off for work-life balance needs when possible. This is not a 9 to 5 job. Theatre hours vary and can include early morning hours, late evening shifts well past midnight and some days: both. Details on this and all staff policies are provided in the Policy of Staffing at Aeolian Hall and can be provided on request.
The Aeolian Hall is a centre of music, education, and training excellence. Qualified candidates should demonstrate a passion for this type of work and an aptitude for a cross section of the required skills. Internships at the Aeolian are intended to be informative and support individual growth. As such, candidates will have the opportunity to learn and train while on the job.
The mandate of this position is to develop the patron base and to maximize awareness and exposure around Aeolian Hall’s productions, activities and brand. It is key that the incumbent have a solid understanding about best practices in marketing, how to conduct and operationalize a successful marketing plan. Assessing achievement in this role will in-part be related to meeting performance targets for sales of tickets, advertising and program sponsorship.
To that end the Marketing Coordinator is responsible for overseeing the development, execution and evaluation of Aeolian Hall’s marketing programs, promotions, branding, communications, graphic design and public relations in consultation with the Executive Director and General Manager. Duties will include:
- Be idea friendly. Accept change. Promote new concepts. Balance demonstrating leadership and taking direction as needed
- Be a self-starter with initiative to understand the business, the needs and the current market and respond accordingly with limited instruction in a busy environment with regularly competing priorities.
- Strategic thinking on marketing and brand recognition opportunities – development of marketing initiatives and fundraising opportunities: development and operationalization of a marketing plan with regular review and modification based on needs and market trends.
- Graphic design and development of posters, handbills, annual report, testimonials, seasonal programs.
- Sales of advertising in seasonal programs and on promotional items such as event posters and handbills, multimedia presentations, digital enterprises, etfc.
- Solicitation and sales of promoter/sponsor opportunities for all Aeolian “in house” productions such as Rebelheart, Pride Men’s Chorus, El Sistema, etc as well as all “Aeolian” productions in consultation with the Production Coordinator as per event/agent/contract specifications.
- Meet all sales and marketing targets, as set by the General Manager & Executive Director as part of the annual budgeting process.
- Marketing of Aeolian production and rental opportunities
- Maintenance of Aeolian Hall website and publication of weekly newsletter
- Development of marquis, pop-up and promotional banners
- Creative writing and regular contributions to the Aeolian blog
- Social media marketing: regular contributions across all social media platforms as well as the development of targeted advertising.
- Maintenance of and communication to a media list related to special events, fundraising projects, programming, production and key initiatives.
- Administrative and Box Office support as required
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE
- Dependable, with excellent interpersonal and customer service skills
- Passion and commitment for music education as an instrument for social justice. Highly motivated, with experience working independently as well as in a collaborative environment.
- Bright, innovative, open minded
- Organized, adaptable
- Professional in manner and appearance
- Minimum three years direct work experience in a marketing capacity or within the non-profit arts sector
- Brand management experience
- Strong copywriting skills
- Ability to translate strategic thinking into action plans and output, with an understanding of marketing strategies, tactics and best practices
- Comfort with website management including familiarity with WordPress
- Project management, prioritization, multi-tasking and time-management skills
- Experience in managing budgets, including monitoring expenditures and maximizing outcomes with limited resources
- Strong statistical and analytical skills
- Relationship-management skills, including the ability to work closely and collaboratively with a wide range of stakeholders, and in a small office environment
- Ability to work time-on-task, meeting deadlines, often with little supervision.
Aeolian Hall will do its best to provide an interview and employment accommodation if we are advised of an applicant’s need in advance of any selection process.