Position: Recreation Facilitator, Contract Part-Time
Location: Alzheimer Society London & Middlesex (435 Windermere Road) with travel to satellite locations around London and Middlesex county
Status: Part-Time, up to 18 hours/month
Immediate Supervisor: Coordinator of Volunteers and Recreation Services
About you: You are an enthusiastic, highly organized people person with a passion for recreation and leisure and experience working with an older adult population, specifically those living with dementia or cognitive impairment. You have a passion for helping others, and are a skilled communicator, and are equally comfortable working in a team as on an individual basis. You are flexible and agile, and able to problem solve through challenging situations and unexpected circumstances.
Summary: Recreation Programs at the Alzheimer Society London and Middlesex (ASLM) are group-based recreation programs for clients living with dementia. Clients participating in recreation programs are typically in the early to mid-stages of the disease. The programs are designed to provide some cognitive stimulation and social interaction for the person living with dementia. Care partners are also welcome to participate in certain programs, providing the opportunity to build a support network and get in touch with community and ASLM resources.
The Recreation Facilitator will be responsible for planning, preparing and facilitating one or more of ASLM’s programs for persons living with dementia (PWD), which may include:
- Social Recreation programs
- Facilitate discussion groups for PWD
- Recreation during Care Partner Education and Support programs.
Reporting directly to the Coordinator of Volunteers and Recreation Services, the Recreation Facilitator will plan and facilitate all aspects of these programs including program facilitation, pre-program planning, shopping for supplies, preparing and printing materials before their session, and set-up/clean-up of their program. The Recreation Facilitator may also supervise a team of volunteers as they assist with the delivery of the program. This includes communication of expectations for volunteers, feedback (both supportive and corrective) as appropriate to volunteers, and communication of any questions or concerns about volunteers to the Coordinator of Volunteers and Recreation Services. The Recreation Facilitator will employ the tenets of therapeutic recreation to contribute to the establishment of a welcoming, stigma-free and fun-filled environment.
- Recreation and Leisure Diploma or Therapeutic Recreation Degree with experience, or currently enrolled in a post-secondary Recreation Therapy program;
- A minimum of one year of experience facilitating group programs, preferably recreation or fitness programs, comprised of diverse individuals with complex needs;
- Experience working with older adults, preferably those living with Alzheimer’s disease and other dementias preferred;
- Excellent observation skills and ability to assess behavior changes over short (a few hours) and extended (over multiple weeks) periods of time;
- Flexibility and adaptability in relation to program planning and delivery;
- Ability to use discretion, judgment and tact in handling sensitive or confidential information or situations;
- Safe Food Handlers Certification required;
- Valid First Aid and CPR certification required;
- Valid Vulnerable Sector Police Check screening required;
- Demonstrated leadership skills through professional or volunteer activities;
- Experience working with volunteers an asset;
- Ability to work independently to develop curriculum for the program;
- Ability to work in a team environment.
- Must have valid driver’s license and/or access to reliable transportation to program sites (London and Middlesex County) and to ASLM London office for regular meetings.
Application Process: Deadline – April 25, 2020
Interested applicants will submit a complete application package including cover letter, resume, and the name and contact information of three (3) recent work-related references. Please send the application package in .pdf format to: email@example.com (with the job title listed in the subject line).
ASLM welcomes and encourages applications from people living with disabilities. Accommodations are available on request for candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
All applicants will be screened based on receiving a complete application package and according to the qualifications listed in the posting. We thank all applicants for their interest, only those selected for an interview will be contacted.