Reporting to the Executive Director, the Site Staff is expected to assist in all aspects of the program at Inn Out of the Cold, St. Thomas – Elgin. This energetic, friendly individual will work for a homeless shelter in St. Thomas, where assistance is given to individuals and families experiencing homelessness.
1. Carry out daily operations at the shelter as needed, including supervision of set-up and take down of site.
2. Complete intake, orientation, and discharge of shelter guests. Ensure that guests complete all required paperwork and it is entered quickly and efficiently into computer data base.
3. Ensure that volunteers and guests are aware of the rules and expectations at the shelter. Assist in supervision of on-duty volunteers.
4. Model and actively promote a positive environment at the shelter, where every individual is treated with courtesy, respect and compassion.
5. Ensure that computer records including case notes and communication log are maintained, reflecting accurate, concise and relevant record keeping in order to promote effective communication between staff and enhance service goals.
- Preferably Social Service Worker/Community Service Worker diploma.
- Excellent interpersonal, organizational and communication skills.
- Ability to work with sensitivity, compassion and effectiveness.
- Ability to work with diverse populations including individuals with low-income, homeless persons, minorities, and other members of the community.
- Ability to complete data entry and reports on computer.
This is an on-call, relief position. There are no guaranteed hours or set schedule. Hours may be booked in advance to cover staff vacations or off site commitments or relief staff may be called at short notice to cover vacancy due to staff illness. The shelter only operates in the evening and overnight, so relief site staff must be prepared to work these shifts. Majority of hours will be worked overnight.
Send cover letter and resume by email to firstname.lastname@example.org with RELIEF POSITION in subject line. Closing date Sunday, Oct 20, 2019 at midnight.