Posting Date: August 9, 2019
Atlohsa Family Healing Services is seeking a motivated and dynamic individual to fill the role of Support Worker – Casual/Relief Staff. The primary role of the Support Worker is to provide crisis intervention, education on family violence, safety planning, referrals, advocacy services, information, and counseling to women and children who have been exposed to domestic violence at the 24 hour emergency shelter. The Support Worker will be supervised directly by the Shelter Coordinator at Zhaawanong Shelter.
SUMMARY OF DUTIES
- Demonstrate a non-judgmental, empathetic, and caring approach to participants
- Provide crisis intervention services, such as individual support, referrals and advocacy
- Support individuals calling the crisis line
SUMMARY OF QUALIFICATIONS
- Demonstrated knowledge and understanding of the languages, creation stories, traditional ways, history and cultures of the Indigenous population in the London region
- Formal post-secondary education training such as a degree in Social Sciences, Diploma in Human Services and/or related experience working with Indigenous Women and Children in Crisis
- Demonstrated experience and knowledge of Indigenous traditional family values, child care practices and healing practices
- The worker must have knowledge of legal issues, the court system regarding family violence, the impact of family violence on women and children
- The worker must have excellent written and verbal communication skills and strong computer abilities
- The worker must have a current vulnerable sector check, a valid Ontario Driver’s License and current First Aid and CPR certificate
- Female applicants of Indigenous ancestry preferred
EMPLOYEMENT CONTRACT TERM: Casual/Relief
CLOSING DATE: Friday, August 30, 2019 by 5 pm.
Please submit a cover letter and resume or referral to:
Atlohsa Family Healing Services Inc.
2212 Elm Ave
Southwold, ON N0L 2G0
Tel No. 519-438-0068 | Fax No.: 519-438-0070 | Email: email@example.com
Successful candidates must be available for mandatory orientation and training 9 am – 5 pm on September 11, 12 and 13, 2019.
Full Job Description Available Upon Request. We thank all those who apply however only those selected for an interview will be contacted.