Hours Per Week
Number of Positions
- Long-Term (6+ months)
Deadline to Apply:
Support Line Volunteers are an important part of the core services offered at Mental Health & Addictions Crisis Centre. They provide supportive listening over the telephone to individuals across London & Middlesex. In the event that a caller is in crisis, then the volunteer will connect with caller with appropriate crisis services.
Support Line Volunteers can provide support with individuals when they are experiencing distress, which is a personal and unique experience. Examples of this can include relationship problems, loneliness and isolation, grief, high levels of stress following an incident or concern for the well-being of a loved one.
All volunteers will attend a training program that will consist of core information about mental health and addictions. Volunteers will also be trained on specific policies and procedures that are relevant to this position. The required training will be completed prior to beginning.
Individuals will volunteer for a minimum of one calendar year, for 16 hours per month including one overnight shift per month. Volunteers will self-schedule their shifts.
Job Description and Primary Responsibilities:
- Provide confidential supportive listening and information as necessary to individuals calling the Support Line.
- Assess and triage crisis calls when needed and link callers to the Crisis Response Line when necessary.
- Utilize a database and other resources to provide community referral information to callers.
- Maintain accurate data collection and enter relevant information into the database.
Job Specifications and Required Qualifications:
- Current Vulnerable Person’s Sector Check.
- Sensitivity to the variety of issues that callers will be presenting with, including mental health and/or addictions.
- Some knowledge of mental health and/or addictions, CMHA Middlesex Programs & Services and community resources.
- Experience working with individuals from diverse backgrounds.
- Fluency in French, or another second language, would be an asset to this position.
Physical and Mental Requirements:
- Must be able to sit for a few hours at a time.
- Must be able to maintain a calm demeanor and stay focused in a changing environment;
- Must be able to steer conversations to remain appropriate, welcoming, safe, and non-judgemental.
- Complementary Therapy
- Personal Coaching
- Therapy / Counselling