Who We Are
The YMCA of Southwestern Ontario’s mission is to be dedicated to the enrichment of our communities through growth in spirit, mind, and body for people of all backgrounds, beliefs and abilities.
Our Core Values: Honesty, Caring, Respect, Responsibility, Inclusiveness
The YMCA is a registered charitable organization that has been serving communities across Southwestern Ontario for over 160 years. With core services in Health, Fitness, Recreation, Child Development, Newcomer Settlement and Financial Development, the YMCA serves over 192,000 individuals and families in 39 communities including Goderich, Woodstock, London, St. Thomas, Petrolia, Sarnia, Chatham, Windsor, and surrounding communities.
The YMCA of Southwestern Ontario is currently seeking candidates to serve on its Board of Directors and its committees. YMCA Board Members serve as policy volunteers and act as stewards on behalf of the YMCA. Directors serve 3-year terms, with Board meetings occurring 6-times per year, rotating throughout the region.
Candidates should exhibit a commitment to community development and possess the ability to offer sound advice to contribute to the YMCA in fulfilling its mission.
Individuals with strong leadership potential and experience in accounting (CPA designation preferred), information technology or law are strategic competencies the Board is currently seeking through this recruitment. The Board strives to maintain diversity, representing the broad region it represents and as such aims to recruit individuals from across the region, including Sarnia and Windsor.
All volunteers must have a current satisfactory criminal record check.
Board Director Commitment
- Directors are the voting members of the Association, and as long as they serve as Directors, they are ex-officio members entitled to one vote per Director.
- Attend a minimum of 60% of Board meetings annually and serve on at least one Board committee.
- Actively participate in aspects of YMCA philanthropy in the local community.
Why Join the YMCA Board?
As a member of the YMCA Board, you will be provided with the opportunity to:
- Affect significant change in our community through the creation of policy that nurtures key YMCA outcomes;
- Contribute to a dynamic team that stewards the vision and mission of the Y;
- Create an environment that fosters vision and enthusiasm; and
- Become an integral part of a world-wide movement over 175 years in the making.
Our YMCA Board members take ownership for their development, discipline, attendance, performance, agendas, and governance methods. The Board executes its tasks by emphasizing and promoting the organization’s values, by developing the mission and vision of the YMCA, and by providing stewardship of the organization’s resources.