The Canadian Cancer Society is a national, community-based organization of volunteers whose mission is the eradication of cancer and the enhancement of the quality of life of people living with cancer.
The Canadian Cancer Society's CIBC Run for the Cure is a 5 km run or a 1 km walk that has raised $430M for breast cancer research. It is the largest single day, volunteer-led event in Canada in support of the breast cancer cause. Your strong leadership skills and organizational guidance will contribute to your local Run for the Cure event and the 1 in 8 women diagnosed with breast cancer. You can be proud that it's making a difference - there's been a 44% decrease in breast cancer mortality rates since the mid 1980s. But there's more work to do.
This year's event takes place on October 6, 2019.
Your talents are needed for this year's event.
What is involved:
Together with the Run for the Cure committee you will raise awareness, encourage participation, and drive fundraising results. As Community Outreach Lead, you will help shape the strategic direction of the event by identifying opportunities for growth and success to invite the community to take part and support Run.
- Identifying and implementing opportunities to promote Run for the Cure in your community (festivals and events, speaking engagements, clubs) with the goal of bringing on new participants
- With the support of your Volunteer Run Directors and Communications Lead, co-ordinate pre-Run promotional activities
- With your committee ensure logistics and volunteer resources are managed in a timely fashion leading up to the event.
- Monthly committee meetings from May to October and biweekly in August and September
- Weekly tasks averaging 3-5 hours per week depending on the scope of tasks and time of year
- Attendance and leadership role at Run events/opportunities leading up to & including Run Day October 6
- In person availability October 4 and 5 and 6.
What You Bring to this Position:
You are excited and motivated to introduce Run to new audiences and get them excited to participate. Your excellent marketing and promotional skills and ability to be flexible during business hours in order to respond to emails and phone calls will be an asset. You are ready to use your organizational skills to help others engage with this community event in a meaningful way.
- Contributing to the organization’s vision of creating a world where no Canadian fears cancer
- Developing your marketing and promotions skills
- Building relationships in your community with a network of volunteers and community organizer
- Have fun!
If you feel you are a good fit please complete a Volunteer Application Form indicating in the box marked 'other' the title of this position. We look forward to hearing from you.