Be the change – volunteer with WRRC!
We are seeking Welcome Desk Virtuosos who love the art of organizing, connecting, and directing.
Who we are
For 30 years, the Women’s Rural Resource Centre of Strathroy and Area has provided emergency crisis response services, such as a 24-hour helpline, emergency shelter, risk assessment, and safety planning. We also offer advocacy, system navigation, counselling, and community development to support women and their families hurt by violence and abuse in rural Middlesex.
We are a tribe of fabulous feminists dedicated to life-long learning, holistic healing, and female empowerment. We come alongside one woman, one family at a time, to support their healing and, ultimately, work towards restoring the broader health of our community. Our vision is a vibrant, connected community where women and children can thrive in healthy relationships.
A few hours of welcome desk support can free up valuable time for our Women and Family Advocates team to provide more essential counselling services to our shelter and community clients.
By sharing your gifts of time, resources, and talent, you directly support a woman’s healing journey when she needs it most. This healing fosters growth and connection at all levels, changing the lives of individuals, families, and communities.
At WRRC, we believe that everyone is a leader. We welcome your creativity and resourcefulness and will be there to support you in your personal and professional growth and leadership.
What you will be doing
You will be supporting the WRRC team with routine administrative duties and general reception to enable staff to focus on more direct service for women and children. You will be the first point of contact on the telephone to women and families who access our services, as well as the general public and community partners who visit WRRC.
Your duties and responsibilities will include:
- Respond to all visitors at the administrative entrance and grant access as appropriate
- Greet and direct women, children & visitors to appropriate staff
- Monitor security cameras
- Accept donations and complete donation form documentation. Complete donation form requests and keep the donations board up-to-date. Put away and organize in-kind donations.
- Maintain a professional, caring image during all agency contacts and demonstrate sensitivity to clients
- Ensure reception area is clean and well-maintained
- Answer all incoming telephone calls and direct them to the appropriate resources
- Assist and provide information to callers
- Assists with photocopying and other general office duties as required
- Assists with mail outs
- Provide administrative support to the Leadership team by coordinating meetings, booking meeting facilities, managing meeting correspondence, and providing refreshments.
- Other administrative duties as assigned.
- Our office is located at 145 Beech Street, Strathroy, ON.
- 3 – 3.5 hour shifts Monday to Friday 9 am – 5 pm (excluding holidays)
- The hours for this position are very flexible. We will work together to develop a volunteering schedule that fits best with your life’s priorities.
Recruitment process and qualifications
Because of the sensitive nature of our work, we have a recruitment and selection process for volunteers. It includes:
- Completing a Volunteer Application Form at https://wrrcsa.org/get-involved/
- An interview with our team
- A Vulnerable Sector Police Check
- Reference check
What we are looking for
- Must be a mature individual, able to work independently.
- Flexible and able to work in a fast-paced and ever-changing environment.
- Experienced working with the public and able to work with a diverse population.
- Non-judgmental attitude.
- Good communication and listening skills.
- Passionate about women’s issues and able to work within the framework of a feminist perspective.
- Reliable and punctual.
- Experience with a multi-line phone system.
- Basic working knowledge of Microsoft Outlook, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint is required.
- Customer service skills and/or experience in an administrative or reception role would be an asset.
- At WRRC, we foster Co-active ways of working, which means we intentionally design an alliance with you to encourage open and honest communication and creative collaboration.
- We value our volunteers as our partners: your feedback and input are always welcome here!
- You will receive on-the-job orientation and training on Violence Against Women and Gender-Based Violence Sector, Trauma-Informed Practice, and Boundaries. We can share many other helpful learning resources with you – the sky is the limit!
- You can count on the coaching and support of our Volunteer Coordinator and our friendly Shelter team. We will develop a supervision model that suits your needs most.
- We will take time to celebrate your impact and envision opportunities for our continued growth together.
How to apply
If this call excites your spirit, respond today!
1. Download and complete the application form from our website https://wrrcsa.org/get-involved/.
2. Email application including two references to email@example.com.
3. Please indicate the volunteer position you are applying for in the email subject.
4. With any questions, reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org.
We can’t wait to meet you.