Updated March 30, 2020 - A message from Pillar Nonprofit Network’s Executive Director
To our entire network, let me first say that myself and the Pillar Nonprofit Network team are sending our collective love and support to you all during this time of great uncertainty. I am writing to you today to ensure you know how we will extend our support to our entire network (donors, investors, investees, volunteers, co-tenants, staff and the nonprofit community) during this challenging period for all of us.
Pillar exists to connect and strengthen individuals, organizations and enterprises invested in positive community impact. It is now more important than ever to lean on the power of our network to share resources and knowledge to help each other get through this. While we can’t gather together physically, we are committed to finding ways to engage, inform, interact with and support our network online. During this time we are committed to:
Ensuring the health and wellbeing of our employees and network
- Innovation Works is closed until further notice and Pillar Nonprofit Network staff is working remotely during business hours (9-5)
- Wherever possible our programs and events will move online – stay tuned for details
- We will continue to look to the look to the direction of the Middlesex London Health Unit (MLHU) and other public health agencies to make informed decisions about our physical operations
Maintaining regular communication with our network
- Through our website, newsletters and social media channels we will share information that will:
- Help promote resilience and adaptability through adversity and inspire action
- Address the heightened racism and xenophobia at this time
- Provide updates on policy advocacy and government support for nonprofits and social enterprises
- Provide updates on our physical operations, workshops and events
- Keep our network informed of any critical information from our local public health authorities
Advocacy on behalf of the nonprofit sector
- Collaborating with the Ontario Nonprofit Network and Imagine Canada to advocate on behalf of the sector to ensure we are supported by government financial stimulus and advice
- Working with our local government and partners around any immediate local needs
Doing deep social listening and encouraging online connection between our members
- Online community - We encourage our members and co-tenant members to join our online community - https://forum.pillarnonprofit.ca/ to share their experiences and offer support to one another. We will gather information to shape our supports where possible.
- Feedback form: https://pillarnonprofit.ca/how-can-we-support-you-now
We have created a feedback form for our members to identify the critical areas of support needed in our community, which we will also use to shape our support, advocacy efforts, and connect members to resources where possible.
- We will be taking in any requests about basic, volunteer, and immediate needs from the nonprofit sector where it would be helpful for it to be shared with our network. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
At Pillar, we are also focused on shining a light on the good happening in our community to inspire others to action. While it may seem hard to find many bright spots in this current situation, I am encouraged by the unprecedented global movement of humans working together to help flatten the curve and protect those most at risk. In our own community, we are seeing our front of line workers putting the needs of our most vulnerable above their own to ensure basic services are still provided.
In these gestures, big and small, there is hope to be found. As some of my colleagues and peers have stated, I too strongly believe this moment in our history has the potential to change the way we view our shared humanity. I hope that our actions today will bring about a greater commitment to solving critical global and community issues in a way that has not been seen so far.
As always, we are here to support you, advocate for you, and connect you to resources wherever we can. You can lean on us and our shared network – we are always stronger together.
With warm support and community love,
ED, Pillar Nonprofit Network
Please note: Like all organizations affected by this unprecedented community challenge, our plans for responding will evolve almost daily as new information becomes available. For up to date information please keep an eye on Pillar’s News feature, Innovation Works’ blog, and our social media channels.